I’ve decided to retire the “Sources” page I put in place when I moved my blogroll off the front page.
Although the page was dynamically updated by my then feed-reader (Bloglines), my account on there has lain dormant for some time, so the page has long-since ceased to be a current indication of the sources I refer to.
My feed-reader of choice, (or perhaps “information aggregator” would be a better name) is Awasu, and although it would be fairly easy to export an OPML of my current reading and upload it somewhere on this blog, I’m not sure that it is worth the effort.
I’m well aware that the chances of anyone getting an ego-hit from being listed on my blogroll are pretty small. Equally I’m not convinced that there is much value added by publishing a list of the feeds I read, and to automatically publish anything else is a lot of work.
I’ll continue to name-check sources when I write a post, and through the use of via: tags in del.icio.us postings.
Serendipitously, I notice that a much-more-famous-than-I blogger has been having similar thoughts…
Via Earl Mardle I’ve found a new tool to add to my personal knowledge management toolkit: Awasu
Although the core of the product is an aggregator, it’s a lot more than that as it offers a number of ways of inter-acting with the flow of information through the tool, both manually and in various automated ways. It also offers the facility to add “channel hooks” – plugins which carry out specific actions on selected channels.
Having installed the product, I must admit the first learning hurdle was to get used to a thick-client aggregator rather than my normal approach with Bloglines.
The next challenge was finding an easy way to blog using the tool. Although Earl recommends a workflow using Qumana, I’m not sure that’s the right one for me. I think that reticence is a little about Qumana: I’ve tried the tool before, in its earlier days and didn’t stick with it, so maybe I am transferring that to the latest version. Also, Earl’s proposed method involves using the Workpads and Reports in Awasu – functionality that I have played with, but not yet got to grips with fully. There have been a couple of funnies which might be bugs or might be configuration problems.
I shall keep experimenting with different methods of using the tool and integrating it into my work, and may well come back to the approach earl suggests. In the interim I have taken advantage of the easily-configurable User Tools menu in Awasu to call up the normal WordPress posting page for this blog within the Awasu main window, pre-populated with key content from the source page.