Useful tip in giveaway insert with FHM... YMMV
and use at own risk.
- Order correct battery (PDASmart.com, ipodbattery.com), either battery replacement kit or glue / thin flat-head screwdriver, PDASMart.com plastic disassembly tools and a plectrum
- dismantle by inserting edge of tool vertically between plastic and metal, next to Firewire port and slide it up and around the sharp metal upper-left corner of the device until it's about 10mm from the edge
- at this point prise up and release the five clips holding the case halves together
- Loosen the battery from the hard drive while keeping the rubber strips attached to the hard drive rather than the battery. Disconnect the old battery.
- Install the new battery. The length of the connecting wires dictates how it goes in, so plug it in and lay it down on the hard drive. Line it up so one edge isn't hanging off, and press it firmly so that the adhesive grips it. If there is no stick, use glue where the pads are and press the case back together.
- Snap the metal half of the case back on. Charge up your new battery for three to twelve hours (full charge) before using.